June 26 & 27, 2021
(Saturday & Sunday)
(9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.)
The Contemporary Techniques & Certification Prep Class will expand your knowledge and vocabulary, creativity, mechanics and understanding of European and Oriental Design. Participants will expand their use of design techniques through a detailed study of the elements and principles of design for possible participation in AIFD’s PFDE* evaluation. Learn the latest design styles such as formal linear, vegetative, interpretive, and parallel. You will also be introduced to the newest design techniques, such as basing, binding, facing, framing, faux finishes, pavë, plaiting, shadowing, sheltering and making armatures. Ample opportunity will be available to discuss application of these new concepts to your own daily work.
Upon completion of this 16 hour class, students receive a Certificate of Completion bearing the names of the Benz School and Texas A&M University.
(*PFDE – Professional Floral Design Evaluation, a two-part program through which candidates can earn the coveted Certified Floral Designer (CFD) designation through the American Institute of Floral Designers)
AIFD® Certified Floral Designer
Students who successful complete the required Education Partner coursework, receive a hands-on evaluation deeming the student’s work at the level of a Certified Floral Designer (CFD®) and subsequent Educational Partner referral, will receive an invitation to become a Certified Floral Designer through the American Institute of Floral Designers® (AIFD®). For full information about the CFD® certification, please visit: https://aifd.org/membership/becoming-a-cfd/
LOCATION and FEES
Classes are held in the floral design studio at Texas A&M University in College Station, TX (Horticulture/Forest Science Building, Room 108) or via Zoom video meetings. Choose your method of instruction during registration The tuition is $450.00 which includes all class materials (shipping), supplies, and printed hand-out materials. Full payment is required at the time of your registration.
If your registration choice is remote (off-campus), the distance learning component will work as follows:
1. Registrants will be able to view the class demonstrations via a live stream Zoom meeting.
2. Registrants will need to download a Zoom video meeting/chat app on their computers/tablets/laptops to have both video and live discussions that will follow the live streaming demonstrations. We will provide the web address of the video meeting/chat app and live stream site about one (1) week prior to the start of class. A set of access credentials will be sent to registrants to gain these accesses.
3. A dedicated web page will be created for the posting of handouts with easy access for student downloads.
4. A box of materials will be sent (overnight) to each registrant containing the supplies for design projects. Students will provide their own tools. A list of tools will be provided upon registration.
5. Registrants must have laptop/tablet/computer video capabilities to be able to interact with the instructor as they create and ultimately finish their projects.
6. Each day will be interspersed with live designing, design critiquing, and PowerPoint discussions.
7. Certificates of completion will be mailed to students following the successful completion of a class.
For more information or for questions about technology needed to participate in these classes, please contact:
Barbara Volk-Tunnell, Benz program assistant
or Bill McKinley AIFD, Benz director
Requested refund two weeks prior to scheduled class = full refund less $50.00 admin fee
Requested refund one week prior to scheduled class = 50% refund
Requested refund less than one week prior to scheduled class = no refund
Parking is available in TAMU Lot 74. Parking permits are not required for WEEKEND ONLY parking in Lot 74 during summer break.
Students must have their own set of basic tools that would include a floral knife, stem cutters/snips, wire cutters and ribbon scissors.
Online Registration Instructions – click the underlined link “Benz School MarketPlace’ link below to register for this course online.
Benz School MarketPlace – then click on the “Classes & Workshop” thumbnail and select the course that you would like to register for.
There are many motels/hotels in the Bryan/College Station area from which to choose. Please click the following link for a list from the B/CS Visitors Bureau:
Lodging List from B/CS Visitor Bureau
This course qualifies for 1.6 TAMU CEUs (16 hours)
For additional information, please contact Barbara Volk-Tunnell at 979.845.1699 or firstname.lastname@example.org