Get ready for the Growing Season with this monthly handy reference:
- FERTILIZE: Fertilize asparagus, strawberries, daylilies, iris, pansies and roses. Use compost, manure or a complete fertilizer.
- WATER: Water everything well before a freeze, but avoid overwatering.
- TRANSPLANT: Plant bare root and container grown roses, shrubs, trees, groundcovers and vines. Move hardy seedlings outdoors. Divide and transplant perennial herbs and summer and fall blooming perennial flowers. Donate extras to a plant sale.
- PREPARE SOIL: Add compost and/or fertilizer. Till deeply. Test soil. Check winter mulch and replenish, if needed. Stockpile leaves for mulch and composting throughout spring and summer.
- LAWN CARE: If lawn has a history of brown patch problems, treat with a labeled fungicide late in the month. Repeat treatment in three to four weeks, if needed.
- DISEASES/PESTS TO LOOK FOR: Check for mealy bugs and for scale on houseplants.