from Aggie Horticulture
The Gesneriphile mail group expressed an interest in a Web site for African violets and other gesneriads. The following hastily assembled set of images and links is intended to display what one person's (Dan Lineberger's) view of such a Web site might contain.
- The Growing Number of African Violet and Gesneriad Web Pages
- Chimeral African Violets and the Chimeral African Violet Blog
- African Violets International Discussion Group
- African Violet Anonymous Discussion Group
- AVCONNECTIONN News Group
- African Violet Society of America
- African Violets in Belarus
- Triangle African Violet Society
- American Gloxinia & Gesneriad Society
- Room of Saintpaulia (Kenichi's Home Page)
- Saintpaulia Information from Y. Hakuraku and his students (most of text in Japanese; nice photos)
- Gesneriasts of Sweden
- Optimara African Violets
- African Violets on the Cheap
- The Gesneriad Reference Web
- Rob's Mini-O-Lets
- Rachel's Reflections
- The Kiwi Violet Room
- Violet Planter
- Wanganui African Violet & Gesneriad Club
- I Love Plants African Violet Page
- Online Discussion Groups
- AVInternational Discussion List for African Violets & Gesneriads
- African Violet Friends
- Violets of All Types
- American Violet Society
- African Violet Books
- Pictures, Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!
- Any Web site pretending to represent the gesneriads and African violets should be replete with lots of pictures. Some should be artistic, but most should represent a cataloging of the diversity that exists within the family. My principal interest has focused on chimeral plants, and the Web site should be able to account for specialized interests as well.
- Products for Successful African Violet Culture
- KiekiGrow Offshoot Stimulator
- Insects and Related Pests of African Violets
- Research results
- The Web is a wonderful place to highlight research results. The information can be "hot off the press" because display and delivery through the Web is instantaneous. I have posted some of my African violet research in the plant tissue culture INFORMATION EXHANGE, a special section of Aggie Horticulture.
- Extension information related to African violets and other houseplants.
- Many universities are now delivering their extension publications via the World Wide Web. A quick review found the following:
Click on the violet at left to do a keyword search of the Ohio State PLANTfacts database for "African violet." This search engine searches most of the Extension and government publications in the US and Canada.
- African Violets (from the Florida Master Gardener Handbook)
- House Plants(from the Florida Master Gardener Handbook)
Aggie Horticulture was created and is maintained by Dan Lineberger , Department of Horticultural Sciences, Texas A&M University
Last updated 5 September 2000.