Next to your eyes, your hands and fingers are probably the most important part of your body. They are wage earners! More accidents involve the fingers and hands than any other parts of the body.
Suggestions for avoiding finger and hand accidents:
- Always be very conscious of finger and hand location.
- Never wear jewelry.
- Avoid wearing loose fitting gloves, pants, long sleeve shirts, coats, and sweaters.
- Keep guards and screens in place. Never operate equipment when the guard is off.
- The job is not completed until the guard is replaced.
- Stop equipment while making repairs.
- Never use a wire to remove a tag.
- Always be extra careful while working around pulleys, chains, and belts.
Remember, the average person’s mind reacts to a situation in 3/10 of a second. If your hands are two feet away from saws, belts or pulleys, and you are holding something that is caught in the shaft moving 12 feet per second, your hands would be pulled 3.6 feet before you could react. That is 1/6 feet too late! Your hands and fingers are valuable tools…protect them!