NOVEMBER / DECEMBER 2002
Texas Cooperative Extension, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas

   

 

The Poinsettia is NOT poisonous

From: The Paul Ecke Poinsettia Ranch

he widespread belief that poinsettias are poisonous is a misconception. The scientific evidence demonstrating the poinsettia’s safety is ample and well documented.

Click on picture to see larger image Studies conducted by The Ohio State University in cooperation with the Society of American Florists concluded that no toxicity was evident at experimental ingestion levels far exceeding those likely to occur in a home environment. In fact, the POISINDEX Information Service, the primary information resource used by most poison control centers, states that a 50-pound child would have to ingest over 500 poinsettia bracts to surpass experimental doses. Yet even at this high level, no toxicity was demonstrated.

As with all ornamental plants, poinsettias are not intended for human or animal consumption, and certain individuals may experience an allergic reaction to poinsettias. However, the poinsettia has been demonstrated to be a safe plant. In fact, in 1992, the poinsettia was included on the list of houseplants most helpful in removing pollutants from indoor air. So, not only is the poinsettia a safe and beautiful addition to your holiday decor, it can even help keep your indoor air clean!

 

 

Return to Horticulture Update   |   Return to Aggie-Horticulture