NPIC (National Pesticide Information Center)
Good communication is time-consuming...this is why it's useful to use the National Pesticide Information Center to communicate about pesticide science in an objective way. The NPIC has a toll-free number staffed by knowledgeable specialists seven days/week from 6:30 am - 4:30 pm PST, and has real-time access to current, in-depth information for a national audience. They can even address questions in multiple languages such as Spanish, Mandarin, Russian and many more. Copies of their brochure may be ordered in both English and Spanish.
Visit NPIC's website at npic.orst.edu, or call Toll Free 1-800-858-7378.
Some of the topics covered include:
- help in understanding the technical/chemical information on labels
- assess toxicity and risks
- explore possible alternatives
- learn about safe-use practices
- identify the signs of pesticide poisoning
- obtain general information on pesticide regulations
NPIC will also help with finding assistance with:
- emergency treatment for humans and animals
- pesticide clean-up and disposal
- laboratory analyses
- pesticide incident investigation
One of their most useful resources is a listing of pesticide manufacturers, formulators, producers and registrants. This can help to discover valuable information about pesticide products, although it is best to directly contact the company for information about cleanup procedures for small spills, inert ingredients, shelf life of a product, product labels, and material safety data sheets.
Note: If you don't see a particular pesticide company on their list, you may be able to locate information about that company using the NPIRS.