There are many types of plants that can be grown in a garden including those that produce edible fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are an important part of our diet and can contribute significantly to overall health. Gardening is a great way to promote healthy living and nutritious eating habits.
- Gardening promotes the consumption of fruits and vegetables for kids and adults by:
- Making fresh fruits and vegetables readily available
- Adding in the excitment of eating something healthy because you grew it
- Creating a greater appreciation for how food is grown (Carrots do not magically appear on grocery store shelves.)
- Providing opportunities to practice preparing nutritious foods and new foods
Nutrition in the Garden* Back to Gardening for Health