Plants Needs - Air, Water and Light
Time frame: one week Space needed: sunny window sill Objective: To observe the effect of air, water and light on plant health Materials needed:
- four small green bean plants in pots
- four popsicle sticks
- black paper
- petroleum jelly
Introduction: Plants require air, water and light to grow. If they don't get any one of these, they can die! Methodology:
- Mark popsicle stick with a #1, #2, #3 and #4, and stick one in each pot.
- Place plants in a sunny location.
- Spread petroleum jelly thickly on all stems and leaves (top and bottom) of Plant #1.
- Cover the leaves of Plant #2 by pinning black paper covers over the leaves.
- Water all plants except Plant #4 when the soil feels dry.
- Compare the plants after 1 week.
Which plant looks healthiest? ___________________________________
Plant Treatment Lacking Describe how plants look #1 petroleum jelly air #2 leaves covered light #3 air, water, light nothing #4 not watered water
What does this tell you about plant needs? ______________________