Making Mud Pies
Time: 2 days Materials:
- 1 1/2 cups soil high in clay (sticky)
- 1/4 cup sawdust
- 2 paper or styrofoam plates
- Label on plate "SAWDUST" and the other "NO SAWDUST".
- Measure out one cup of soil and moisten it until it will make a mud cake. If your soil won't stick together, it doesn't have enough clay and you'll need to find a new source.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of soil and 1/4 cup of sawdust and mix together. Moisten the mixture and make another mud cake. Put this on the plate marked SAWDUST.
- Put both plates in the sun to dry. When they are completely dry, break the mud cakes with your fingers. Which cake was more crumbly? Why do you think so? Which soil do you think plants would prefer to grow in? Why?