Give me light, Give me life
Time: 1 week Materials needed:
- two clean jars
- 1 ounce of alfalfa seeds
- rubber band
- Put alfalfa seeds in each jar, add enough water to cover the seeds. Soak overnight.
- Put two layers of cheesecloth over the mouth of the jars and wrap with a rubber band. Turn the jars upside down over the sink or a bowl and allow to drain. This rinse water would be food for houseplants, it will have a few nutrients in it. Rinse with clear water and drain again. Label on jar LIGHT and the other DARK. Leave each jar upside down in a small bowl for best drainage. Put the first jar in or near a window and the second jar in a cabinet. Keep the cabinet door closed.
- About twice a day, rinse and drain the sprouts as in step 2 and put the jars back in their places. Do this for a week.
- At the end of the week, write down the differences between the two jars full of sprouts. Which do you think would keep growing the longest? Why?
- Now you can eat what you have grown! Alfalfa sprouts are great on sandwiches, in salads, or alone!