Definitions of Common Terms
- Grow Together Container
- Transplanting an assortment of plugs into 10-inch, 12-inch, or larger container and growing them on to a marketable stage.
- Put Together Container
- Transplanting marketable size, flowering, usually 4-inch or larger plant material into planters.
- Plant Positions in Container Gardens
- A plant can fulfill different positions in a design depending on the size of the container.
- Center plants: provide compact, upright growth to fill in the crown of the container.
- Filler plants: typically have compact, upright growth and round out the top of the container.
- Corner plants: grow well over the containerís edge and benefit from a corner position where they have maximum elbowroom.
- Edge plants: drape over the edge, softening the look of the container and filling out the space between its corners.
- Color Bowl
- A small, round container placed on a table top to house compact, annual plants.
- Combination Basket
- A hanging basket and usually holds mounding and trailing plants and excludes tall upright varieties.
- Container Garden
- Includes all shapes and sizes of containers, usually sitting on the ground, sometimes massive enough to hold all types of plant species including woodies, perennials, and bulbs.