Use landscape construction. Although most people evaluate the success of a landscape development in terms of the selection and condition of the plant materials, most really well-designed landscapes contain a good balance of construction and plant materials.
Carefully designed and executed paved surfaces, fences, walls, overhead structures and edging materials are not only attractive but also reduce routine maintenance. If possible, when selecting building materials for the landscape, repeat materials and colors already used on the home. Weathered wood, natural stains, concrete and earth tones in brick will usually blend with existing construction materials and relate to the natural environment.
The following drawings contain construction ideas for typical home landscape use.
Outdoor Step Design
- Riser + Tread = 21 inches.
- Riser height must not exceed 7 inches.
- Tread to riser relationship must be consistent over entire length of stairway.
- No fewer than two steps to avoid an invisible one-step hazard.
- No more than twenty steps in a group without putting in a landing or rest area.
Creates a pleasant view by blocking noise and unsightly views, and; helps facilitate drainage on the site.