Online Floral Design Curriculum
The Benz Online Floral Curriculum was developed to provide a comprehensive method to teach basic floral design. It is easily customized for high school horticulture/agriculture departments, community education courses, master gardener courses or as company training modules. Students learn floral design theory and concepts via an online learning management system. The curriculum is based on the elements and principles of design, emphasizing the inter-relationships of these concepts and the art of floral design. The textbook used is Flower: Creative Design (see link in the right column)
Instructors will have access to an “instructor only” database that provides how-to videos showing the steps of making the designs, 360° virtual reality designs (designs that can be rotated and seen from all angles), PowerPoint summary presentations, project order lists (and possible substitutions), student homework/in-class assignments and quiz question examples.
Access to the Benz Online Floral Curriculum is based on a site license fee structure. For more details of the fee structure and procedures, click:
Instructor Training Classes
Basic Training = June 15-19, 2015 (9:00 am – 5:00 pm)
The five day on-campus (40 hour) instructor training classes provide:
- detailed instruction for making each required floral design
- detailed instruction for using the online learning management system (currently Moodle)
- detailed instruction for creating student e-portfolios
Highlights of the online curriculum:
- basic floral design skills tailored for high schools, community education, master gardeners or individual companies
- instructor training (optional) beginning in June 2014
- contains many of the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills) for the Principles and Elements of Design course which is meets Texas high school requirements for a fine arts course
- instructors will receive access to an enhanced curriculum resource database (PowerPoints, how-to videos, VR 360° designs, project lists, homework suggestions, etc.)
- student certificate of completion issued upon verification of online course success
- Award of Excellence certification issued upon successful completions of written final exam and design skills assessment (e-portfolio)
- scholarships for other Benz classes available
For more information and samples of the Benz Online High School Curriculum, please contact the Benz School at (979) 845-1699 or email@example.com.
Instructor Basic Training Course Fee = $500.00 which includes flowers/foliage/supplies for all lab activities. A deposit of $175.00 is required at the time of registration. The deposit will be refunded if cancellation notice is received five (5) business days before the start of classes. Participants should bring their own set of floral tools.
Advanced Training = August 8 & 9, 2015 (9:00 am – 5:00 pm)
The advanced training class is designed to enhance the teaching skills of current Benz Online Curriculum users and/or experienced Moodle users. Emphasis will be placed on learning advanced features of Moodle and using the resources of the curriculum to effectively teach students floral design.
-Using forums and chats
-Adding images to assignments, forums and surveys
-Automatic grading options
-Creating grade export files
-Additonal design projects to demonstrate elements and principles of design
Instructor Advanced Training Course Fee = $275.00 which includes flowers/foliage/supplies for all lab activities. A deposit of $175.00 is required at the time of registration. The deposit will be refunded if cancellation notice is received five (5) business days before the start of classes. Participants should bring their own set of floral tools.
Location - All classes will be held in room 108 (Floral Design Studio) in the Horticulture/Forest Science Building (HFSB) at Texas A&M University in College Station, TX.
If you would like to register for either of these courses, please click on the following Registration Form link or contact Ann Boney at (979) 845-1699 firstname.lastname@example.org
Electronic (Web) Registration Instructions – click on the following link to web register for this course. Use the ‘organization’ search parameter pull-down and choose “Benz School,” then the course you wish to register for.
There are many motels/hotels in the Bryan/College Station area from which to choose. Please click the following link for a list from the B/CS Visitors Bureau: